Bloody Glass Red Velvet Cupcakes
Okay, so I’m sure you guys have seen the pictures of these things going around, and I would be lying if I said they weren’t a contributing factor in my deciding to start this blog, so I thought I would share a recipe for you guys! Did you know they’re supposed to be inspired by Dexter?
Serves 24 cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 2 oz water
- 2 oz red food coloring
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbs butter, softened
- 8 oz (1 package) of cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tbs corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- Red food coloring
- Blue food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cupcake cups or line with paper liners.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a bowl until their fluffy.
- Add eggs to the mix and blend well.
- On the side, make a paste of cocoa powder and food coloring and add it your butter mix.
- Sift flour and salt together into the mixture.
- One at a time, add buttermilk, vanilla and water.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and baking soda, then fold it into the cake batter. Make sure it’s incorporated but don’t beat it.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake cups and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the cake will spring back up when touched.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
Now for the frosting:
- Beat cheese cream, butter and vanilla together until blended.
- With the beater on low, beat in the sugar a little bit at a time until properly blended.
- Beat on high speed until smooth and creamy
- Keep covered in fridge to chill.
Now for the glass:
- Mix water, corn syrup, sugar and cream of tartar in a large saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Use a candy thermometer and boil until it reaches 300 degrees (hard ball), CONSTANTLY STIRRING.
- When the mix hits 300 degrees, quickly pour onto a metal baking pan and cool until completely hardened.
- Break into shards using a meat mallet, or something similar.
Finally, the blood:
- Mix the corn syrup and cornstarch together.
- Slowly stir in 1/4 cup of water, adding more or less if necessary, until you get the consistency of real blood.
- Stir in red and blue food coloring until you get a blood color.
At this point, just frost your cupcakes, stab them with shards of glass and drizzle some blood on them. Keep in mind that just because the glass isn’t actually glass, doesn’t mean it’s not sharp as shit.
And that’s how you make a brutal as fuck cupcake.
They’re just strawberries dipped in chocolate but they’d make a nice peice for a party.
Tumblr en We Heart It. http://weheartit.com/entry/78562995/via/thinkpink808